Thursday, July 23, 2009
The unexpected. I recently saw a wedding video that had a most unexpected procession. Watch for yourself here Unexpected Wedding Video
It made me smile, laugh and most important, think. When was the last time I did something unexpected? Am I so caught up in the "Status Quo" to remember that I don't have to be like everyone else? I think the daily grind gets to everyone and, if we're not careful we lose ourselves in the ebb and flow of day to day tasks. It woke me up. It made me realize that I don't have to just blend in and get by.
While my cliché ridden paragraph above may be annoying, what's more annoying is forgetting who I am. I am a freak. (In a good way) I used to wear combat boots, dye my hair purple and listen to Bands like Throbbing Gristle, Ministry, Front 242 and others. Now I blend in with the suburbia that surrounds me. I wear capri khakis and Keen® sandals. My hair is it's own natural color and not one part of my head is shaved. I still listen to Front 242 and the like but now it's from a Volvo station wagon. Have I sold out? Have I become a "mundane"? Or have I grown up and traded in my combat boots for a 401K and a Mortgage? I'm not sure. I know it's some unexpected fun when the house fraus at the local pool see my tattoos. But really it's not that shocking. Enough identity crisis angst. On to the poll.
1) Lip Of The Day? - Besame Red Velvet. A deep red that lasts and lasts. this is the old formula that I adore. Besame has come out with a new version which I will be posting about very soon.
2) Recent unexpected, really good, beauty acquisition? - The Sponge Rose & Sage cream I posted about this week. I was really surprised that I liked it so much. I had such a blah feeling about it at first, but after a while it became a "Holy Grail".
3) What would you do with an unexpected windfall of $100? (p.s. you can't spend it on bills or anything responsible) - I would buy some new shoes. I am stuck in the 1970's and adore high heel clogs. My most loved pair finally bit the dust this week. I need a new pair, but summer is really the worst time to buy such shoes...oh and it's 2009. Not the most fashionable shoes out there. But I'm comfortable in the high heeled wooden soles. I just need me some new shoes darn it!
4) Have you ever had a Surprise Birthday Party? Would you like one? - No I have never had one. But once in high school my friend Tanya had a surprise party for me at my home. No birthday, just a surprise. It was really nice. I really would love to have a surprise birthday party but I don't think anyone would ever throw one for me.
5) Anything unexpected happen to you this week? (good, bad, indifferent?) - My buddy Lachesis (Lindsay) writes for the Allentown Examiner.com. She writes a beauty column and it's really very good. It's like an extension of her blog but with a more journalistic approach. Well she unexpectedly e-mailed me this week asking if she could do an article about my blog. I was so flattered and pleased. Of course I said yes. Free press is always welcome! So here is her article. CLICK HERE It made me so happy to read it. Thanks Lindsay!