image from skyniceland.com
Skyn Iceland Detox Set for Stressed Skin. This sounds like a holy grail. I want to detox all the crap my body has ingested over these long years I have been roaming the earth. Trust me. The Montgomery County Fair is an amazing fun place to visit each year but funnel cakes and deep fried Oreos do a number on my skin. Stressed Skin? How about stressed self? If it isn't lack of sleep b/c of Darthypie, it is lack of money for everything else or work or the car or just the state of the world as we know it. I'm gonna let you all in on a secret. I'm not as tough as you would imagine. Sure I have a wry sense of humor and a biting sense of sarcasm, but my feelings get hurt just like anyone else...well. I tend to laugh it off most of the time, but I do have feelings. No really I do. I cried during Steel Magnolias. Hey I WATCHED Steel Magnolias! That should say something right? Anyway. I can get stressed and stress definitely hurts my skin. Hormones plus Comfort food equals crap skin. I figured this would be the absolutely freakin perfect set for me. I went to Sephora and purchased it as soon as I could.
Skyn Iceland touts that its products are WITHOUT:
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
And are sulfate-free, cruelty-free, 100% vegetarian and allergy tested. So what's not to like right?
I went to Sephora and purchased it ASAP. This is what I got:
(Allegedly a month’s supply according to Skyn Iceland)
- Glacial Face Wash
- Arctic Face Mist
- The ANTIDOTE Quenching Daily Lotion
- Oxygen Infusion Night Cream
On a side note. Have you ever been to Iceland? I really want to go some day. But I plan to do it once I have lost like 100 pounds. I want to be lanky and skinny like everyone else there. Aside from the Swedes, I think women from Iceland are some of the most perfect looking in the world. Hence why I instantly hate them. Stoopid Viking genes making you all look pretty without trying! Oh and Bjork is from Iceland. Bjork is the shizz! How could you not appreciate her pixie like qualities and avant-garde style? (OK. Maybe some of you don't, but this is my reality and I will assume you all agree with me on this.) so yeah. Iceland. Totally cool place. Nice cold weather and VOLCANOES! Helloo. It's fun to say the word "Magma" and even funner [sic] to see the earth's magma explode through a mountain and become lava. From a safe distance of course!
Iceland is pretty cool. I'll admit I'm a sucker for cooling themed stuff…especially during summer in Washington, DC. Summer in DC is hot, humid and a summer breeze is akin to opening an oven door in a hot kitchen. It's hot and smelly and there are mosquitoes and chiggers and I pretty much hate being outside in the summer. Anything with "Ice" or "Cooling" in the product name/description is a plus for me.
OK. Back to the Detox Set for Stressed Skin set.
Let's break it down shall we?
1. Glacial Facial Wash. This facial wash comes in a pump style dispenser. The wash is mildly foaming. Has a pearly look to it. Like frosty nail polish. The cleanser is so sucktacular I had to stop using it after a week. Yes. I said it. I do not like this cleanser. Aside from the fact that is BROKE ME OUT! It hardly removed any of my makeup; it left a strange film on my skin that basically felt like a combination of wax and oil. It was terrible. A day or so after use I started having these awful breakouts on my cheeks and nose and forehead. I hardly ever get breakouts on my nose, but I looked like freakin Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Santa lives in LAPLAND not Iceland damnit! This cleanser is useless. I seriously wanted to stop using the entire kit, but I carried on...for you! (guilt, guilt)
2) Arctic Face Mist. OK this is better. It's not really a toner per se, but it's a really nice mist if you like that sort of thing in your skincare routine. The icy blue liquid is lightly scented and definitely imparts a cooling sensation to your skin once applied. The set comes with a spray bottle that is small enough to carry with you on hot days if you need a pick me up. It is soooooo refreshing! I felt like I was spraying arctic cool water on my skin in the middle of the wretched hot summer. This is truly a nice treat. I don't use it every day, but I do use it when my skin feels particularly irritated or after being outside with Darthypie at the park. Ahhh. However be warned that this does contain witch hazel and alcohol. Those with very sensitive skin should steer clear.
3) The ANTIDOTE Quenching Daily Lotion. Ah ha. Here is the real gem in this little kit. This daily quenching lotion has a minty / clean scent to it. It comes in a handy pump dispenser and is an ecru colored gel creme. (Like how I slipped in the word ecru? A color that Mr. Sith refers to as beige. Sha! Men!) Once applied there is a definite cooling sensation, but it is mild and nothing like putting an altoid on your skin. The lotion is wonderful under makeup. It absorbs quickly, leaves no stickiness and seems to...wait for it...mattify my skin! Yes ladies. I said mattify! My oily T-zone looked much better while using this lotion. I used two pumps every morning and the small size lasted me two to three months! This is definitely worthy of a full size purchase.
4) Oxygen Infusion Night Cream. There has been a lot of debate about Oxygen in skincare products. Some say it works wonders (Paula B.) while others say Stay away (Paula B.) Yeah. Paula B. flip flopped on the whole oxygen debate. Said Hydrogen peroxide for the skin was wondrous then when the whole antioxidant craze started she changed her mind...which she has every right to do mind you! So is oxygen good for your skin? Yes and No. I have a whole slew of Anti-Oxidant Creams and lotions that say No, but my skin loves oxygen products. I can't say for any real certainty that is harms you, but I can't say it helps either. To give you a definitive answer would require research, reading and effort on my part. That's something I just don't feel like doing right now. You understand right? According to Skyn Iceland, Oxygen Infusion Night Cream is "...[d]esigned to work with skin's natural renewal process, it transforms your complexion into the translucent, glowing, fresh skin you crave." OK that sold me. I love me some glowing skin y'all! But they also go on to say "Microencapsulated oxygen fortifies and energizes skin depleted from stress, while helping to restore tone and texture to optimal levels. With a mild warming sensation, our night cream delivers antiaging rice peptides and calming natural extracts to help alleviate the premature signs of aging due to stress." OK. See here we go. It sounds even better. It definitely does warm the skin. I definitely felt the warming on my skin when I applied it. I definitely saw and improvement in the smoothness and brightness of my skin, especially on my forehead with the clogged pores and such. Oh. Am I still using it you ask? No. After about 2 weeks I noticed my skin had hit a plateau. It had improved but wasn't getting any better. It was almost like my skin became immune to the creme. I know it didn't in reality, but it seemed that way. Plus, I was worried about using it with my 12% Glycolic gel and my skin neeeeeds that stuff so bad. So I now only use it on special occasions. Basically I'll start using it 3 nights before I am going out or need to look particularly radiant, and then I go back to my trusted Sponge Rosemary and sage cream.
Do you NEED this kit? Maybe. Perhaps the cleanser will work better for you, but honestly the best thing in it is The ANTIDOTE Quenching Daily Lotion which retails for $45 at a full size. The Facial Mist and Oxygen cream are nice but I wouldn't spend the $35 and $75 (respectively) on each product. Skyn Iceland's Detox Kit for Stressed Skin is TSA approved so you can bring it as a carry on item when you travel. That's nice. But for the cost of the kit, $45, I can find better stuff or just buy a full size The ANTIDOTE Quenching Daily Lotion.
You can purchase Skyn Iceland Products from Skyn Iceland Directly or at Sephora, Beauty.com, dermstore.com, skincarerx.com and others.