Thursday, October 15, 2009
Why do I have no problem spending $100 on cosmetics, $100 on clothing, $100 on shoes, yet when it comes to spending money on Hair Styling Appliances I blanch at the thought of spending more than $50? I’m cheap with my hair. I think it’s because I have a deep seeded resentment for it. My hair and I don’t get along. The first betrayal was when I was two. My hair turned from a beautiful brick red to blonde. Sure. Blond hair is nice, but red is better. Then I got back at my blond hair by coloring it almost every color in the rainbow between the ages of 16 and 27. I finally gave up the battle over color 2 years ago. My hair is now an ash brownblonde. It’s not really brown, but it’s not really blonde it’s ash bleh. Oh but my hair revolted in other ways. It decided to be curly but not curly. It decided to be straight but not straight. It decided to frizz in humidity and lay flat as a pancake against my head in dry weather. I countered by using expensive shampoos and conditioners and styling gels, but my hair triumphed and only got limper and frizzier. I then retaliated by using cheap ass products on my hair. White Rain was my favorite. I think I got the shampoo for less than a dollar! Oh how my hair hated it. I used hair dryers and curling irons and air drying and mousses and flat irons and what did my hair do? It split at the ends. I can just look at a hair brush and my hair will split. It breaks off in the most unusual ways. I think if there was a split end hall of fame I would be in it several times over. I tried to coax my hair into liking me by getting haircuts at fancy salons by gay men that talked about Madonna, Range Rovers and eternity diamond bands. Nope. $65 + tip down the drain. My hair looked nice for the gay man but decided to lay flat, plastered to the side of my head as soon as I got into my car. My hair and I just do not see eye to eye. That’s why buying a new flat iron for $100 kills me. Will my hair really be any different? My current flat iron is breaking. It’s reached the end of its short life and I need to put it out of its misery. What would you do? Spend the money on a real good flat iron (which I would use at least 2 times a week) or say screw it and have a gay man scold you for not coming in to the salon for a trim more often? BTW. The flat iron I want is by Sedu.
On to the poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? Chanel Aqualumiere lipstick in Formentera. A limited edition color form last spring? Summer? I don’t remember. It’s a pretty frosty beige with plum undertones.
2. Do you have long, short or medium hair? Is it curly straight or in between? Do you like your hair as is? – Me long. It goes to just below my shoulder blades, but the layers make it look shorter from the front. See above for the other 2 answers.
3. Do you wake up to a CD, the radio, or a buzzer? – I wake up to a buzzer. I used to wake up to a radio but I started incorporating that into my dreams and oversleeping. Plus the only station I could get clearly was Classical Music which isn’t great to wake up to as it usually puts me to sleep.
4. Beauty item(s) you want most at the moment? – Dior Smokey Crystal Quint, Amore Pacific Enzyme Face peel.
5. When was the last time you got your hair cut? – I'm ashamed to say it, but I think it's been like 8 months? Uh oh. I really need to make an appointment.