Happy New Year’s Eve everyone - and Happy 2010 to those non-US readers! I’m excited to be in charge of today’s Thursday Poll, because I have always wanted to bug you all with a bunch of questions. Ha!
I’ve been pretty contemplative this past week. Today is the end of the year, and the end of the 2000s. It has been a pretty unbelievable (both unbelievably good and unbelievably bad) decade for the world, and for myself, and I’m sure for you all as well. At this time ten years ago I was home waiting for the world to end with my parents (remember the Y2K scare?). We were actually pretty convinced that something large would happen, and my parents stocked up on canned goods and ramen and boxed milk. How terrible, right? I remember being horrifically disappointed that planes weren’t falling out of the sky and aliens weren’t taking over the world. I think my parents were a little disappointed too. We ended up having a balloon fight. Good times!
This year I’ll be drunk somewhere, sobbing while I reminisce over all the things that I have lost and gained over the past decade. I mean, in the past ten years I’ve graduated from middle school, high school, and college. I’ve fallen in and out of love many times (huge SIGH). I’ve gone from wearing just Dermablend over my surgery scars to wearing a full face of Bergdorf Goodman’s most exclusive brands. Hell, I’ve gone from Love’s Baby Soft to Bond No. 9 New Haarlem! I mean, things have really changed and even though I studied existentialism extensively while at NYU, the fact that nothing can ever really stay the same never fails to shock me - and I always feel that shock the most deeply on New Year’s Eve. Thank goodness this is a huge alcohol-centric holiday! We can all use a drink after this downer of a post I just wrote.
Now, onto the poll:
1) What are your New Year’s Eve plans?: I’ll be at my best girlfriend’s apartment. We’re making dinner and watching the ball drop on TV. Oh, and we’re going to be popping bottles of champagne and beer all night - the past year has been ridiculously turbulent for the both of us, and we already know we’re going to spend the better part of it crying and hoping that 2010 treats us a lot better.
2) Do you have a special FOTD planned for New Year’s?: Not yet, but I know that whatever makeup look I do will be heavy on the eyes and lips, and majorly sparkly. I’m thinking about red lips and gold eyes, or silver eyes and plum lips. Not sure yet!
3)What were your top ten products of 2009 (or at the very least, one or two of your top products of the year)?: Oh wow, ok let’s see...(in no particular order), here's my list!
- Too Faced Shadow Insurance: After a few years of using ArtDeco base, it stopped working for me. I mailed my backup to Elvira, and went to Sephora to buy this. I couldn’t be happier with its performance.
- Urban Decay Book of Shadows 2: Just check out my old review. I am just as smitten with this palette now as I was then! It requires me to not have to think about what eyeshadows to slap on my lids when I'm in a rush.
- Bobbi Brown Bash eye shadow: Elvira reviewed this a while back. I purchased it before she did and I liked it a lot more than she did. In fact, I love this eyeshadow - it makes the perfect liner.
- Edward Bess: I reviewed Dusk eyeshadow and Night Romance lipstick a few weeks ago, and now that I own a lot more of the line - almost all the shadows, a couple of lipsticks, a gloss, and a highlighter - I can safely say Edward Bess lives up to the hype. Elegant, luxe, and classic; his products are true staples in my makeup wardrobe.
- Paul and Joe Creamy Powder Compact foundation: 2009 brought me my Holy Grail foundation, and this is it. I’ve always been a fan of cream-to-powder foundations, and this one does not disappoint. It has SPF15, it is a perfect color match (I wear #40), and it doesn’t melt off. This foundation blends like a dream and is just so darn cute you can’t help but love it.
- MAC 252 and 242 brushes: I’m not entirely sure how I managed to live - or at least apply bright eyeshadows or loose eyeshadows - before I bought these brushes. There’s something about the bristles on these brushes that allow for a more precise placement of color.
- Fyrinnae eyeshadows: Simply gorgeous, and I’m still mad at myself for being so behind on this brand. Their neutrals are truly exquisite.
- Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy: Genius because it makes all of my glitterbomb eyeshadows wearable. I can finally wear Urban Decay Midnight Cowboy! Wheee!
- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouges: I discovered these early this year and collected quite a few. They are so easy to use, easy to blend (even over powder), and they work just as well on my lips as they do on my cheeks. My favorite is Velvet Plum.
- NARS Taiga eyeshadow duo: From the Holiday 2009 collection, Taiga is the most perfect white-gold and pewtery-green duo ever. I get sultry eyes in a minute, and when paired with Bobbi Brown Bash as liner, I look sexy as hell.
5) What’s your drink of choice on New Year’s?: I’ll drink anything that even remotely resembles an alcoholic beverage. I am partial to Veuve Cliquot though.