Thursday, January 21, 2010
Nostalgia - nos-tal-gia [no-stal-juh, -jee-uh, nuh-] –noun
1. A wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time
2. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
3. The irrational urge to buy beauty products from your youth hoping that they possess some sort of magic that the rest of the world overlooked. When in reality they suck just as bad as you remember, hence why the rest of the world moved on.
Yes. You can become nostalgic for makeup, beauty products, etc. Honestly I have no idea why one would want to go back to the old red Revlon black eye pencil that you had to light with a match before using, or why anyone would buy a shampoo brand popular in the 1970's because it was heavily fragranced and that's pretty much all it had going for it....oh wait. I did that last thing. I purchased "Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific" shampoo and conditioner several months ago. I did it because I was feeling nostalgic. You see my parents never let me get that shampoo. They insisted I use Flex. You remember Flex right? It didn't smell perfumey and didn't come in a cute pink bottle. No it was utilitarian and inexpensive. To this day my parents still pay no mind to the type of shampoo they buy, what kind of soap they use or anything like that. I think that's why I'm such a beauty junkie. I was deprived as a child and now that I'm an adult I surround myself with things I was denied in the past. At least that's my justification. By the way, Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo and conditioner does smell like the real stuff but it dried my hair out really badly. Now I only use it occasionally. It's still nice to use, but it's not an every day thing. I got it at the Vermont Country Store. They have a ton of old time-y products for everything you can imagine. Not just personal care, but home cleaning, candy, clothing, you name it, they probably have it...and if they don't you might be able to ask them to carry it. Yes. It's that cool of a store. This is not a paid advertisement, I just really like the place. Anyway. So feeling nostalgic about beauty products can be an expensive habit. Sure the shampoo I purchased was inexpensive, but if I ever feel nostalgic for a Chanel Joues Contraste Blush in Poesie I'm gonna have to shell out $100 or more for it. They are that rare..and yes that beautiful, but no blush to me is worth $100. Heck. Someone recently paid over $230 for a long since discontinued Clarins nail polish on evilbay. I don't deny that it was a beautiful color, but I'm not sure if it was $230 beautiful...well at least to me. Obviously the winner of that auction thought so and more power to her. I bet her nails look fab! What I'm saying, is that one needs to be careful about being nostalgic for beauty product of yesteryear. Sometimes what you remember about them isn't actually what they are in reality. You might have built up how great the product is in your head because time and accessibility have created a product in your mind that exceeds the actual real life item you desire. For example: The Rose Milk Lotion I have coming in the mail to me. Will it be as wonderful as I remember or just another lotion that eventually gathers dust once it's half way finished? Only time will tell.
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Lancome Pixel Pink. A several Seasons ago limited edition pink lipstick. This cool pink Color Fever Shine lipstick is one of my favorites and I wish Lancome would re-release all the LE shades in one collection on year.
2. What beauty item reminds you of your youth? - I think that Flex Shampoo & Conditioner is one item. I detested the smell and hated the results but it certainly reminds me of my youth. I don't think I was able to pick my own shampoo & conditioner until I was a teenager...and then when I could I chose Finesse. Remember that? Whoo whee that stuff smelled great!
3. Who was one of your favorite bands or music artists in High School? - I was infatuated with The Clash, but I also loved Howard Jones. It's an odd paring. Synth pop with Punk rock, but I was still finding myself music wise. I still get a little misty when ever I hear Howard Jones "What Is Love?"
4. What old item from your stash have you recently re-discovered and fell back in love with? - I recently pulled out my Besame eye shadow in Plum Dandy. I forgot how much I love that color and how awesome it is for making a plummy smokey eye. Combined with that Annabelle pencil that The Mighty J sent to me It is fierce!
5. What beverage reminds you of your childhood? - I think Yoo-Hoo and Tab are the ones I remember the most. I loved drinking Yoo-Hoo even though it made me sick after drinking it and I remember how much I HATED the taste of Tab but wanted to like it because the can was pink!