Thursday, April 15, 2010
Today is Tax Day in America. The day when the Internal Revenue Service (A.K.A. "The Man") sticks it to hard working regular folk like you and me. According to some statistic I heard on the radio at 5AM (So I doubt I'm remembering it accurately) approximately 50% of Americans are getting a tax refund. Guess where I fall? Yep. I OWE this year. I didn't withhold enough taxes from my paycheck this year so I ended up owing "The Man" my monies. Boo Hiss! Ah but all you readers that don't live in the US are laughing right now because you all pay TONS in taxes and have no sympathy for us. And I'm cool with that. Seriously, Americans have no idea how good they got it because most Europeans have to pay so much more in income tax, fuel tax, food tax, clothing, and cosmetics it would make your head spin. There is a big rally this year in Washington, DC held by the Teabaggers. There is usually some sort of protest every year on taxes. There are a lot of Americans that HATE paying taxes...yet they expect free stuff from their Federal and State governments...it's quite a conundrum. But what I find amusing is the whole teabagger movement. First of all the term "Teabagging" is funny because it's a rather vulgar (or satisfying...depending on how you are wired) sexual act. Want to know the details?. Go to urbandictionary.com and look it up. I think a lot of these people involved in the teabagging movement have no idea...or if they do know, are too stubborn or uncreative to come up with a new name. Secondly, the Boston Tea Party, which these teabaggers are getting their name from, was not opposed to taxes per se, but "taxation without representation." What the colonists opposed was the fact that after the French and Indian Wars, the same colonists who fought on behalf of England were slapped with a whole slew of new taxes to pay for the wars. At the same time, the colonists had no representation in the English Parliament. So the colonists were fighting England's wars and paying her bills, but not allowed to vote to determine how her government worked. See? Taxation without representation. Now modern day teabaggers have representation and a vote in all levels of the government, from local elections on up to President, plus their taxes are not high when compared with most nations. So the solution? Protest, if you must, but know your history, know sexual slang that might lead to a lot of fodder for comedians, and VOTE.
OK. I'm stepping off my soap box and getting on to the poll.
1. Lip Of The Day? - Kevyn Aucoin lip liner in Bare with Victoria Secret Very Sexy Makeup Lipstick in Heidi. Heidi is a sheer shimmery peach that goes on almost clear and has a ton of glitter to it. When applied over a nude liner it doesn't look so porn-star-ish.
2. What is the sales tax (if you have one) where you live? (If you live in the US here is a link to tell you HERE) - Mine is 5% which is pretty low. It used to be 4% but it has crept up slowly since I moved here eek almost 14 years ago.
3. What are you lemmming right now, but you just can't afford it or you are saving up for it? - I think I'm lemming Serge Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose but I also want to sniff Bond No. 9 Sacks For Her En Rose and Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb La Vie En Rose before I make up my mind...then I'm gonna save up to buy one for my birthday in July.
4. What was the most taxing class you had in school (High School, College, Grad School)? - Oh gosh. The hardest class I ever had was my College Statistics class. I had to have it for my major. I got a D the first time I took it and took it a second time and got a C. The C erased the D but still screwed up my GPA. I hated Statistics and I have successfully managed to block anything I learned, so that I remember nothing. Just great....not.
5. What beauty products do you have no problem spending a lot of money on? - I have no problem spending a lot of money on face moisturizer if it works and foundation if it works as well....that's why I love samples b/c there is nothing I hate more than spending a boat load of money on a product only to find it doesn't so what it claims to do.