Thursday, April 29, 2010
My name is Elvira. It is pronounced L-Veer-Ah. It is NOT pronounced L-Vie-Rah. It is a Latin name. and therefore the i is soft like e not like i. I know it can be confusing to read. But if I am actually SPEAKING to you and I PRONOUNCE my name to you, I assume that you are a) listening and b) have an iota of memory retention so that when you repeat back to me "Hello Elvira" you actually pronounce it L-Veer-Ah. Makes sense right? WRONG. I would say, unless you are from any other country but the US, you will say my name correctly after you meet me. Oh but No, not in the US. Allow me to explain. There was a band called The Oakridge Boys. They were quite popular in the 1980's and had a "hit song" called "Elvira". Yeah. One small problem. They sang/pronounced the name L-Vie-Rah. And it was one of those terribly "catchy" songs so a lot of people knew it and it would get stuck in their head. Let me say now that The Oakridge Boys and their damn song, "Elvira", were the bane of my existence for um...ALL MY DAMN LIFE! I STILL, 28 years later, meet people that start singing the song after I introduce myself to them. Jerks. You want an example? Yeah. I don't care if you just said "No." I'm gonna give you one anyway. 1st day of High School, 9th Grade, Algebra, Taught by Coach Cameron, 1st class of the day. Let me tell you about Coach Cameron. He was the Football Coach. He needed something else to do when he wasn't being a jock so he was assigned to teach Algebra. He looked like the missing link. He had a sloping forehead where his frontal lobe should be, hair on his back, shoulders and ears, and he grunted a lot. (OK maybe he had allergies, but I like to think he spoke in clicks and grunts like a caveman.) He started to call roll. When he got to my name he pronounced it, like any gringo would, "L-Vie-Rah". Before I could correct him, the entire class of 9th graders (30+ jerky, pimple faced, teenagers) Broke into the Oakridge Boys song "Elvira". I died a little bit that day. I had Coach Cameron all year and he NEVER ONCE got my name correct. No matter how many times I corrected him, he always said my name wrong. To this day I have such a mental block when it comes to Mathematics I can barely remember the quadratic formula or what it is supposed to do..... I really wish my name was Jane. Perhaps I would be a math whiz.
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of The Day? - Chanel JC in Poesie. It has long since been discontinued. It's a lovely pink that is neutral and glowy. It honestly makes me look "lit from within". I love this blush.
2. Do you have any well known Product (nail polish, blush, other), Song, Movie, etc. with your name in it? - Well you know about that damn song. There is also Elvira Mistress of the Dark, that's another painful chapter of my life.
3. What beauty product is your weakness? What product never fails to make you swoon and never fails to end up in your collection? - Well, aside from taupe eye shadow, I will have to say it is perfume. I will buy a perfume so quickly. I love the different scents and the way they change my mood.
4. What is your middle name? (If you would rather not share that personal information just make something up...but make it amazing, like Velveeta or something) - My Middle name is my maiden name. Before I got married it was Kris.
5. Do you use mascara on your lower lashes? - No. I used to long ago but now it just makes me look tired and raccoon like.