Thursday, May 13, 2010
The other day The Daily Telegraph (An Australian Newspaper) reported that the Voyager 2 Spacecraft that launched almost 33 years ago is sending back data messages that NASA scientists can't decode. The article HERE talks about the Voyager 2 was launched many years go with "a 12-inch disk containing music and greetings in 55 languages in case intelligent extraterrestrial life ever found it." It seems it might have been found because the Voyager 2 is now sending back signals that the scientists cannot decode. OK. First of all, I have to say that the headline is "Have aliens hijacked Voyager 2 spacecraft" which sounds like something from The Enquirer or Weekly World News...but worse yet the article has an exclamation mark in the 2nd paragraph "Signals in an unknown data format!" What is it about the use of the word "Aliens" and The use of an Exclamation point in a news story that makes me not believe it? Is it that people have become more and more anti-exclamation point since the advent of e-mail? People do use rows of !!!!! a lot these days. Type in "Overuse of exclamation point" in google and you get 25,200 results! I used the ! there to show my surprise at how MANY entries there are on the subject. Personally I don't care. I like using exclamation points. I like them a lot! I am excited about things...makeup especially. How can we show emotion in the cold and sterile environment of the Internet without typing in ALL CAPS misspelling words like "what" (WUT) and "hi" (HAI) and "Oh my God" (OMG) to show a bit of emotion/personality/etc.? People can't see our faces when we are excited/shocked/etc about what we just read. I believe the over use of exclamation points will only become more common as the generations after us use keyboards more than vocal cords to communicate. Heck. I'm the LAST person that would ever judge poor punctuation or grammar. Have you seen my over use of ellipses? OMG! This one guy would HATE reading my blog. Read his piece about overuse of ellipses HERE. HA! He's pretty funny actually. He gets quite worked up over those three little dots...I like to use them in place of a comma or period. See I'm doing it right now...in fact I did it again! Oh my goodness. This post is turning into a punctuation Nazi's nightmare! Let's just end it here and get...
On To The Poll
1. Blush Of The Day? - BECCA lip and cheek creme in Tuberose. I plane to do a review shortly. It's a lovely pinky peach. It is almost a pinker version of Chanel In Love JC blush and a peachier version of Nars Cactus Flower blush, sans shimmer.
2. Do you believe in Extra Terrestrial Life? Do you think there are other life forms out there in the galaxy and beyond? - I have to think there is intelligent life out there. If they are smart they would leave us alone because humans are still to savage and backwards to accept alien life sharing the planet with us.
3. Latest beauty acquisition? - BECCA Lip and cheek cream in Tuberose and a Revlon mascara (another upcoming review)
4. Do you consider yourself a Grammar Warrior or a Grammar Pacifist? - I am surely a Grammar Pacifist. I don't care about dangling participles, poor punctuation, or run-on sentences...and that is evident in my writing style. I wish I was more diligent about using proper grammar and punctuation, but that would require effort. Something I don't like to extend if I can help it.
5. If aliens visited the planet and were humanoid, like us, what is one beauty product you would share with them? (assuming they had no cosmetics.) - I would share lipstick with them. Everyone can benefit from a little lipstick. There is nothing more beautiful than a brand new tube of lipstick. So much potential. Such perfect lines. such beautiful smooth, virgin surfaces. A tube of lipstick is a woman's greatest weapon. It can transform her looks, he mood and her outlook on life! (sometimes) As much of a taupe eyeshadow hoor that I am, I think lipstick is a universal beauty enhancer.