Thursday, August 12, 2010
I think by now, pretty much everyone has heard of the Jet Blue Flight Attendant that dramatically quit his job this week. Steve Slater, a 38 year old Flight Attendant for Jet Blue dramatically and somewhat dangerously quit his job this week following an altercation with a passenger. Mr. Slater was struck in the head by a bag of a passenger that stood up while the plane was taxing to the gate. Instead of apologizing, the passenger told Mr. Slater to F*ck Off (or something to that effect) and a verbal altercation between the two ensued. Finally Mr. Slater had had enough. He allegedly got on the airplane's P.A. and cursed out the entire plane, grabbed a couple of beers, opened the exit door, released the inflatable slide and slid down onto the tarmac. Mr. Slater then raced across the tarmac into the airport and then to his car. He drove to his home in Queens. NY and waited for authorities to arrest him later that evening. Now, what Mr. Slater did was extremely unprofessional and dangerous. I'm not denying that. But who here hasn't thought of quitting in a dramatic style? Perhaps not in a way that may endanger others, but hey, telling a plane full of passengers where to stick their luggage..so to speak..sounds like a secret fantasy of many flight attendants I have met. Let's face it. A lot of jobs in this world suck. You have to deal with all sorts of personalities and you can't always tell them how you really feel. Those that work in a customer service orientated position really understand the plight of Mr. Slater. I know there are many time when I have fantasized about telling my cow-workers (Intentional misspelling) how I really feel about them. Of course this fantasy involves winning an obscene amount of money in the lottery first and THEN quitting...it's never good to burn bridges....no matter how much you hate the people you are working with. That is why Mr. Slater isn't as clever as I would like him to be. He was having a particularly bad day and he quit. He has no back up job, no plan, nothing. Sure the Web is embracing him as a folk hero, and sure there have even been movies made about such a exit. Remember the character Howard Beale in the 1976 movie Network? The famous line. "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this any more!" but Mr. Slater is probably never going to work as a Flight Attendant ever again. Of course that is probably a good thing for him and any future passengers of his, but you get my drift. So what is to become of Mr. Slater? Jail, Probation, a Reality Show? Oh goodness. None of those options sound very appealing. This is really a lesson in restraint. Had Mr. Slater shown some, sure he wouldn't have his 15 minutes of fame, but he might still have his job and wouldn't have a criminal record!
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Dior Creme de Gloss in Fig Nectar. I already reviewed it a while ago here. I think I'm coming to the end of this tube. I might have to repurchase!
2. Do you think Steven Slater is a Hero or an Idiot or both? - I think he is kinda both! See above,
3. Current Lemming? - Burberry Lipstick in Rosewood. It's sold out corporate wide at Nordstrom. I am trying to wait patiently for it to be restocked. It's not an easy thing to do.
4. Have you ever quit a job in a dramatic or non professional way? - I worked at an Italian restaurant in college. The head waitress had a big chip on her shoulder against college kids and treated me and my friend who worked there like trash. She started screwing with our shifts so when spring break came around we both said we were going out of town.....and then never went back to work. It was very unprofessional of me, but I was young and the boss was a turd!
5. I am a ____ ho and I am a ___ hater. I'll wear/use anything by____, but nothing by______. - I am a Taupe ho, Frosty Light Blue eyeshadow hater, I will wear/use anything by Guerlain or Chanel, and nothing by Sugar Cosmetics/Pop Beauty.