Thursday, August 19, 2010
Tonight as I write the poll for Thursday I can't help but wonder if I'm going to start a lot of unnecessary drama. I had planned to talk abut the whole MAC./Rodarte thing and how I observed that some bloggers never mentioned the whole fiasco on their blog, Twitter or Facebook and those very same bloggers are ones that get MAC for free from their PR contacts. As I was writing this mini rant I realized that my point may not come across clearly, or be seen as a jealous rant by some low level blogger. But I figure what the hell. You all can think what you want. If I lose readers, so be it. Now, I did admire how Temptalia addressed the whole RodarteMAC issue. Temptalia gets all sorts of gratis MAC products to review for her blog. I don't have any problem with that. In fact I think it's super because she really is the best place I go to find out about new MAC collections. She didn't give her personal opinion on RodarteMAC, but she still acknowledged it by posting MAC press releases regarding the issue. She had to moderate the thousands of comments left on her blog while still maintaining her objectivity. She handled the whole thing with class. I wonder if other bloggers that get product from MAC PR, who ignored the whole issue completely, if they did that because they were worried that MAC would cut them off? I won't ever know their motivations to ignore the issue, but it certainly makes me question their credibility. Remaining silent on an issue as huge as this, when one reports about MAC products on an almost weekly or bi-monthly basis, makes me think that those bloggers were afraid of losing their gravy train. I understand that to some of these bloggers their blog is their business. They wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds them, I get that, but how objective are you if you are afraid to speak your mind? Or what if it was another reason. There were only 2 dissenting opinions posted on the whole RodarteMAC issue. Those 2 bloggers stated, in their opinion, that they saw nothing wrong with the collection and that they felt that people were making much ado about nothing. Maybe those bloggers that get free MAC products to review felt that way, and they didn't want to lose their readership. Like I said, I don't know why they did what they did...or should I say didn't do what they didn't do. I have some serious doubts about their credibility after all is said and done. That makes me sad because I really thought these bloggers, being so quick to review every new MAC collection would have said something, anything...but I guess their silence speaks volumes. These opinions are my own. I'm not naming names of bloggers I think ignored the issue...so don't ask. Comments speculating on which bloggers I am referring to will be deleted. Sorry. However, comments disagreeing with me will NOT be deleted. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.
On To The Poll!
**UPDATE: Please let it be known I am not directing my comments at any individual blogger or blogger that does not get FREE MAC Product. I am merely talking about bloggers that a) Get Gratis MAC, b)Knew about the Rodarte Collection, and c) Chose to say nothing/do Nothing. I'm not saying they HAD to say or do anything, but when the entire blogging community is talking about it, a mere mention of a MAC press release or nod on Twitter or Facebook would have been nice. I was just made aware that some of these bloggers were under an embargo from MAC to NOT say anything about the Rodarte collection until almost 2 week before the release date. (Almost like a gag order.) I understand and respect that they were obligated to keep their mouth shut about the details of the collection until such time as the embargo was lifted.
1. Blush Of The Day? - MUFE HD Microfinish Blush # 6 "Quickie". I received this as a 100 point perk for being a Sephora Beauty Insider. It's my first day wearing it so I have yet to form a solid opinion, but be sure to watch out for a review coming soon. The blush is a cute salmon pink color.
2. Has the whole MAC Rodarte thing changed your buying habits with MAC? - Well to be honest, my purchases of MAC products were slowing down. I had fallen out of love with the brand. I had grown tired of the unending stream of limited releases, hard to find products and higher prices for no increase in quality. I think the straw that broke the camels back was when I purchased a Limited Edition taupe shadow that was IDENTICAL to Satin Taupe. It had just become ridiculous. The whole RodarteMAC thing just sealed the deal. I just am not interested anymore.
3. Recent beauty purchase? - Well I got some $$ from my Father In Law last week (Belated Birthday Present) so I picked up NARS Tzarine and Buxom Pug (Both items Joeybunny MADE ME purchase by reading her excellent reviews.
4. If you were in charge, what is one thing you would do to change the was MAC does business? - I would limit my special releases to 6 or 8 times a year and focus on a smaller number of products in each release. I would still make some limited edition, but I would rather focus on the quality of the regular products than coming out with yet a 5th chartreuse eyeshadow that is ever so slightly different than the last one.
5. Current favorite makeup item that you discovered/rediscovered/acquired/etc? - I recently rediscovered my Pout Miss Canada eyeshadow. I forgot how pretty it is. This reminds me that I need to shop my stash more often.