I have learned a valuable lesson. If decide something is a holy grail, stop buying new stuff and just keep using said holy grail. I know. Ground breaking concept isn't it? About a month ago I was finally finishing up my bottle of Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation. My skin was finally clearing up, thanks to a new night creams and face wash I was using and I thought to myself that I need a new foundation. Sure I was still oily as ever, but I thought a foundation that was more sheer would look better since I don't have as many imperfections to cover up any more. I was smart this time. (K. sort of smart) I didn't actually purchase any foundations....well except for that L'Oreal True Match foundation (which broke me out). I actually went to Sephora and Nordstrom to get samples of the foundations I wanted to try. The first hurdle was getting a color match. I'm so impossibly pale and neutral that most foundations are too dark, pink or yellow on me. Then there was finding the right formula. I still needed something for my oily skin and I needed something that wouldn't break me out either. So what did I try? I tried Estee Lauder Double Wear Light, Lancome Teint Idole Fresh Wear, Laura Mercier Oil Free Foundation, Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup, Tarte Smooth Operator and Make Up For Ever HD. Rather than boring you with the details of how each performed let me just say that NONE of them worked for me because of one reason or another. I decided to try a tip from a fellow EL DW user and apply the foundation using a damp sponge. Ah ha! Success. A sheerer application and still the long wear and oil control I needed. But my idiocy doesn't stop there, Primers. Yes. I am a primer junkie. I keep thinking that I am going to find something better to make my face look airbrushed and perfect. I try all sorts of primers and you know what? The Dr. Brandt primer that I recommended and said was my HOLY GRAIL back in 2008 is still my holy grail. I have no idea why I stopped using it. I started using it again this past week and I am kicking myself for ever straying. So the lesson I learned is, you never know how good you have it until it's gone. Does this mean I am no longer doing foundation reviews and primer reviews? Um...DUH! No. I think you all know me well enough to say for certain there will be more foundation reviews and primer reviews for many years to come.
On a more personal note. I know my posts have been a bit irregular. I have some personal things going on in my life right now and I am not able to devote as much time to the blog as I would like to. This does not mean I am "quitting". but it does mean that I may not post every day, Monday through Friday for a while. This is only temporary. Don't worry. No one is dying or going to jail or anything like that. Just life gets in the way of makeup sometimes.
On To The Poll
1. Blush Of The Day? - Chanel JC in Caprice. A neutral dusty pink that shows rather warm on my skin, but is very sheer an sadly discontinued.
2. Do you have any Holy Grail beauty products? If so, what are they? - Well for sure the Dr. Brandt Pores No More, but also the Liz Earle Hot Cloth Cleanser. I adore it!
3. Have you ever watched the movie Monty Python and The Holy Grail? If so, can you recite any lines from it? - Yes and Yes. The dialogue from the entire movie is burned into my brain. I had to throw out other things to make room for it so my Nephew's birth date, the 5 years of french I took and most of my Junior High experience have been erased. But I'm OK with that.
4. What Holy Grail are you on the search for now? - I think I'm still searching for a holy grail oil controller whether it be a primer or moisturizer and a holy grail cuticle treatment would be nice too.
5. Did you see the movie Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade? If so, did you think the Holy Grail would be the one that Indiana picked? - Yes and No. Sure it made sense once Indy explained it and showed everyone which one it was, but honestly I thought it would be more... um...festooned. Plus I think that movie was kinda jumping the shark adding in Sean Connery, but that's just me. It certainly was better than The Crystal Skull or Temple Of Doom.