There has been way too much talk about the way Ricky Gervais hosted the Golden Globe awards. Many in the press are saying that it was offensive, bitter and down right rude. Honestly. I found Ricky Gervais to be exactly like Ricky Gervais when he hosted the Globes. Yes. That's right. He did nothing more than be himself. His band of humor is snarky, painfully honest and yes, sometimes rude. You know what? It's funny too. Come on. You mean to tell me the naive Hollywood Foreign Press (HFP) actually thought Gervais would be like his character from that movie The Invention Of Lying? Pluheeze. A word of advise to the HFP; When you hire an assassin, don't be shocked when he actually kills someone! Gervais already gave you a taste of what his hosting would be like LAST YEAR and during the promos THIS YEAR when he reveled in the fact that he was being paid to Make fun of celebrities that do nothing but congratulate each other and eat an expensive dinner. Gervias has been quoted as saying "They hired me for a job, and if they didn't want me, they shouldn't have hired me.". My thoughts exactly. Award shows typically hire comedians to host and expect those comedians to make jokes. People like to laugh and like to see others that they might envy, made fun of. Call it Schadenfreude (pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others) or Jealousy or simply having a good sense of humor and not taking things so seriously, but most people LIKE this humor. Now I know that some of you will disagree and say that Mr. Gervais did a horrible hosting job...and you know what I would agree. But wait! Didn't I just defend him for over 22 sentences above? Yes.. I defended him as a comedian, not as a host. In defense of the English language and etiquette, the term "Host" may be inappropriate for such gigs as the Globes, Oscars, MTV Movie Awards, etc. A Host, by definition and by etiquette standards, is to make the Guests (The Audience at the Globes, in this case) feel at ease. The Host is supposed to be gracious and giving. A Host is not to point out that the HFP is a joke and have been known to take bribes and other disparaging remarks. If they truly wanted a HOST then they should have hired a politician. Politicians actually CARE what people think of them. They want to be accepted by everyone. Comedians, for the most part, don't worry about what everyone thinks of them, that's not their job. Their job is to be funny. And that is exactly what Ricky Gervais did.
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Lipstick in Rouge Vermillon. You can read my review and see pics HERE
2. Did you watch the Golden Globe Awards? If yes. Did you enjoy it? If No, Do you care that you missed all the much ado about nothing? - Yes. I did watch some of it. Basically until Trent Reznor gave his acceptance speech. That's all I really wanted to see. I read the rest of Gervais' jokes from transcripts or watched them in youtube clips.
3. Recent Beauty Purchase? If you are on a "No-Buy/Low-Buy" How successful has it been? - Oh goodness. Too many. But I did get the UD Naked palette (all molested I might add) and a new Guerlain Meteorites Illuminating & Mattifying Pressed Powder. I promise to review it soon!
4. There was a lot of buzz around the exact shade of lip gloss that Angelia Jolie was seen applying at her table. I'll let you know it was a Chantecaille Lip Gloss in the color Love, which is currently out of stock because I guess everyone wants to look like Angelina. My question is, have you ever purchased a beauty product based solely on having heard or seen it worn by a celebrity? - Yes. I admit that I was on the search for the Club Monaco Lipstick in Glaze as worn by Monica Lewinsky in her interview with Barbara Walters. It looked awesome on her, and to be honest, it looked awesome on me too. I don't regret the purchase.
5. What is one beauty item everyone should try at least once? - For me it has to be Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. If you wear makeup, this oil dissolves it fast as lightening, and it doesn't make me break out and saves me from having to scrub extra hard to get my makeup off with my regular cleanser. Its a holy grail for me!