My friend forwarded me an article from the Shop Girl Blog about Wal-Mart's latest makeup offering for 8 to 12 year old girls! Yes. The new Geo-Girl makeup line is alleged to be "...designed for young skin and have natural ingredients like white willow bark to exfoliate, chamomile, lavender and calendula to calm and antioxidants." Since when is "natural" (when not regulated by any agency as to the standr\ards of what "natural" should fall under) acceptable for children? And WHY do 8 to 12 year olds need ANTIOXIDANTS and EXFOLIATORS? I am so appalled by this latest gimmick by Wal-Mart I am thinking of NEVER giving them my money ever again (which is easy because the Wal-Mart near me is sketchy and I have the only 2 hard candy nail polish colors I ever wanted already). But then I think for a second and realize, while Wal-Mart may be the distributor of this snake oil for tots it certainly isn't forcing those 8 to 12 year old girls to buy the stuff. Now maybe it's because I don't have an 8 to 12 year old girl, I don't understand how hard it is to say no to them. But aren't the PARENTS supposed to be responsible for what is purchased for their child? I mean, unless the kid is a child star, it's not like an 8 year old has a steady income in which to purchase the makeup. And, even if they did have their own money, some adult would have to actually TAKE them to Wal-Mart. right? I mean, when it comes down to it, the parent decides what the child will buy or not buy. I certainly wouldn't begrudge a 12 year old a lip gloss once in a while, but 8 year old? What ever happened to being a child? Why is society in such a hurry for these kids to grow up? The best thing about being a kid is that you are...a KID! Complicating things by telling them that they need makeup is insane. 8 to 12 year old girls (children) are all beautiful without makeup. Plus they usually have awesome skin at that age, why introduce unknown origin "natural" ingredients to that perfect skin? OK. I know I have never been in a situation where my child melts down in the middle of a store and says they will hate me forever because I won't buy them something they want. I get the parental guilt. But damn. Blush for an 8 year old is too Jonbenet Ramsey for me to handle.
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of the Day? - My natural Glow. That's right. I am typing this in my PJ's because I'm snowed in and working from home today.
2. What age did you start wearing makeup? - Honestly I think I was 12, but I find myself to be an exception because I was obsessed with the stuff from a very young age...however it's not like I went to elementary school wearing any makeup. It probably started in Junior High.
3. Recent beauty acquisitions? - Ah yes. My loverly Chantecaille Tigers in the Wild palette. I am seriously in love. I may have to marry it.
4. Your thoughts on the new Geo Girl line? - Had I known about the Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen makeup line it's replacing I would have been equally as annoyed. But this line, because they claim benefits from use to unknown source ingredients just rubs me the wrong way.
5. Is there a beauty product you have sworn never ever use again? - Oh goodness too many. I think the worst was Philosophy - The Present Invisible makeup. Cystic Acne all over my face. I looked deformed. I still have scars from it.