Other than sharing the same Birthday (July 2nd), I don't have very much in common with Lindsay Lohan. However, I can't seem to escape hearing about her day in and day out. Apparently she is on trial for theft of a $2,500 necklace and probation violation and is facing certain jail time. I'm not in favor of celebrities getting special treatment when it comes to breaking the law. Heck, if they did get special treatment, LiLo would have already been in jail and unable to steal that necklace. The thing that gets me is WHY she would steal a necklace. She has money. She has fame. She has the means to get all sorts of jewelery for free at almost any time. Perhaps the fact that I use logic in my understanding of things illogical is the reason I am having such a hard time understanding why she did what she did. Obviously the root of the problem with most celebrity arrests is the pedestal we put celebrities on in the first place. They are larger than life. They are super human. So when we hear about one breaking the law, why is it that we can't bring ourselves to have a celebrity pay the price for unlawful activity? The actual person that the celebrity is, is often confused with a role they may have played in the past. Charlie Sheen isn't a toothless cocaine smoking whore monger, he's a sweet and funny guy on 2 and a half Men. Mel Gibson isn't a racist, bigot, hypocritical religious zealot, he's that funny yet sensitive and slightly wacky guy from the Lethal Weapon movies. And Lindsay Lohan....Well...She's better known for her drug addled exploits than her acting career...OK. So she is a bad example. I wonder if I were to be caught with cocaine in my purse (a la Paris Hilton) if I would get off with a warning or actually face jail time. I bet the result would be jail. I'm not famous and I'm not wealthy. OK. Before this little rant turns into a diatribe on how our justice system is unreasonably skewed towards punishing minorities and the poor, I'll sum it up this way. Break the law, pay the consequences. I know not every situation is black and white, but there are far too many grey areas when it comes to celebrities. But we as a society have as much ownership of this issue too. If we would just stop buying the magazines about celebrity gossip, stop watching the celebrity gossip shows and stop visiting the celebrity gossip blogs, maybe this "Cult of Celebrity" would not be as powerful as it is. Or perhaps watching celebrities fall apart at the seams is a sort of Schadenfreude (pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others) that we just can't seem to get enough of.
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of The Day - Chanel JC in Tea Rose. A warm pink that is very very sheer. You have to be pretty pale to have this color even show upon you and you need a stiff brush to get as much pigment as you can from the product. Not my favorite Chanel JC but I own it so I'll use it.
2. What sort of celebrity "news" (a.k.a. Gossip) Magazines, TV shows or Blogs do you follow? - I just check D-Listed every once in a blue moon. Otherwise I try to avoid celebrity news as much as possible. I found that I like being blissfully ignorant of some actors and musicians as a human being. My idolization of Trent Reznor was snuffed out when I read an interview with him and he came off as a giant ass.
3. Finish This Sentence: "It was limited edition and I wish I had purchased ___________" - Chanel JC in Satinette, Pink Cloud, and any other limited edition JC, and also MAC pigment in Coco. Oh how I wish MAC would bring this color back. I haven't purchased any MAC since the whole Rodarte fiasco, but I would totally give them my money for a full sized Coco pigment.
4. What was the last movie you saw in the theaters? - I saw the Liam Neeson thriller "Unknown". It was a decent movie. I enjoyed seeing the fashions and makeup of January Jones in the movie. And the slight twist in the movie was good, but I should have waited for video.
5. What cosmetic brand have you never tried but would love to try? - Ellis Faas looks really cool and believe it or not I have never owned a La Metier de Beaute product. I need to get something don't ya thing?