Thursday, May 26, 2011
Well Spring is gone and the 90 degree weather has pimp slapped the Washington, DC area. I'm not a fan of hot weather. I much prefer cold. It's easier to get warm than it is to get cool. But one thing I think many of us can agree upon is Rain Sucks. OK. not like when you have had a drought and you need rain to make the corn grow, but rain all the time, every day just looks absolutely miserable to me. I am watching a series on the AMC channel called The Killing. Those not familiar with it should know it's a day by day account of a detective trying to solve the murder of a 17 year old girl. The show is excellently written. The acting is divine. The story is not spoon fed to the audience like in some crime dramas. You honestly do not know who the killer is. You only know what the Detective and Family of the slain girl know. And even then there are some surprises. There are red herrings peppered into the story to keep you guessing and the suspense is spectacular! Here's the thing. The whole story is set in Seattle Washington. Holy crap it rains a lot there. I mean in almost every scene it is raining. And what strikes me as completely odd, no one uses umbrellas. They just stand there, in the rain, looking like drowned rats. Everyone on the show looks like crap too. I get that they are supposed to b/c they are all stressed and not sleeping and stuff, but I'm kinda getting the feeling that looking like crap is the norm in Seattle. Remember the show Fraiser? You NEVER saw it raining out of his window. You never saw any character come in drenched from the rain, wearing galoshes, wellies or even a raincoat. I don't watch Gray's Anatomy or Weeds, so I have no idea if they make the rain a co-star in the show like The Killing, but judging from the previews I see on TV, no one on Gray's Anatomy looks like crap, so I'm thinking not. It's a funny thing about TV shows..even movies. When set in a location that is very specific you need to get everything right. The Killing, I think, does that. The rain is a pivotal character in the story. It sets the tone, it causes the other characters to do things that they wouldn't do if it wasn't raining. It's awesome that they use it so much. Shows like The West Wing, which was supposed to take place in Washington, DC, my home town, well....meh. They showed a lot of interior shots and never once complained about the damn humidity or the traffic. Trust me. Humidity and traffic around here plays a BIG role in our lives. It's what makes everyone look like glazed doughnuts with frizzy hair each August and it's what makes us all aggressive drivers that want to shoot each other. Every town, no matter how small has a specific something that makes it recognizable to people from that area. It maybe something little like the way people interact with each other, or it may be something big like a 555 foot tall obelisk in the middle of town. Either way, it's almost impossible to capture every nuance of a town for a TV show or a movie, but I bet if I ask some local Seattleites?, Seattlealions?, Seattlers? they would agree The Killing is doing a good job.
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of The Day? - Becca Pressed shimmer Powder in Princess. A warm rose that is sheep but makes a loverly neutral blush!
2. Are you from a place where a Movie and/or TV was supposed to be set? How well do you think those show(s)/movie(s) depicted your town? - See my answer above.
3. Name a makeup pet peeve you experience or see on other people. - One pet peeve of mine is that I could never find a foundation that matches my skin tone it was always too yellow or too dark..that is until I found Armani LSF in 3.75. It's pink but not too pink. It's light but not too light. I just wish it controlled oil. That's my 2nd pet peeve...
4. What do you miss most about home when/if you travel? - Not much really. I'm not saying I don't like where I live but there isn't too much I miss...except for the low sales tax. *wink*
5. Current lemmings? - Oooh. I'm back in my highlighter mode again. I want the Dior Shimmer Star highlighter in Amber Diamond. I have the rose one already. I NEED both. And maybe one of the new MUFE Uplights!