First World Problems.
I am getting kind of sick and tired of people using the phrase "First World Problems" to nullify arguments. By and large the things people complain about on the interwebz are petty. In fact being able to complain about anything on the interwebz is a result of living in the First World (you know, as opposed to the Third World). Don't get me wrong, having low bandwidth does not trump not having clean drinking water, but aren't these two things mutually exclusive? I think so. Just because the Third World lacks sufficient money and infrastructure to produce clean drinking water for its villages does not mean that people living in the First World can't be disappointed in their "First World" infrastructure not being able to provide more bandwidth It's one thing to complain about a long line at Starbucks and then follow up that you acknowledge that your complaint is a "First World Problem" but it's another thing to jump into a conversation that two people are having about a change in the level of service a business provides and try and stop the lamenting by saying "First World Problems" and consider that contributing to the conversation. It's not contribution. It's just rude and ignorant. Aren't customers allowed to be dismayed if the level of service from a business changes for the worst? Yes. Does it mean that those very customers don't CARE that there are people in the Third World without clean drinking water? No. Of Course Not. One thing has nothing to do with the other. I saw something on Twitter the other day that said "Over 30,000 Somalian children died recently as a result of famine, but more importantly, Facebook changed their layout again. Life's hard!" That's the equivalent of a "First World Problems" contribution to a conversation (I mean if you consider twitter conversation) Just because people are upset with change does NOT mean that they don't care about the fact that Children are starving in this world. Should everything spoken be only directed at lamenting over Third World Problems? And I ask you, Of those people that do draw that comparison, what are THEY doing to solve those Third World Problems they claim to care so much about? I bet you less than 5% of the people that say "First World Problems" to shame people from complaining actually do volunteer time, money assistance to solving those Third World Problems. I'm not saying that the changes on Facebook or splitting Netflix into two different companies is the end of the world. Of course it's not. In the big scheme of things it's hardly a blip on the radar. I'm just saying that, unless you are personally doing something to end Third World Problems, find a more constructive way to remind your friends that their complaints aren't as woeful as they appear to be.
THANK YOU to Rebecca and Eri for helping me clarify my point with comments they left on my Facebook page. Without them, I wouldn't have made as much sense.
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Chantecaille Lip Chic in Calla Lilly. It's a sheer brick red which shows more brown plum on me...but on NORMAL people it would look more brick red.
2. If you could eliminate one thing from your morning beauty routine, so that you never had to do it again, what would it be? - I would eliminate having to do my eyebrows. I would love them to be colored in and arched perfectly without my effort.
3. If you knew you could not fail, what would you try? - Flying. I have always wanted to be able to fly. I have dreams about it. That or robbing a bank. (JUST KIDDING)
4. It's well over a month away...but have you started to plan your Halloween costume yet? - Nope. I'm not dressing up..as far as I know, but I already have Darthypie's Costumre. He's gonna go as Captain America!
5. Most recent beauty purchase? - Chantecaille New Classic Palette. I love it!