This has been the longest week ever. It always seems that the week before a holiday is soooo long. I have this Friday off of work and Monday is Memorial Day in the US, so I actually get 4 day weekend instead of a 3 day weekend. What bugs me about the US is that now almost every holiday there is a costume for sale that goes along with it. You know, nothing says 'I Love America' more than a metallic blue lamé bustier and hot pants.
Or how about this one paying homage to your German ancestry yet still feelin the red white and blue with a Hofbräuhaus Server outfit in patriotic colors, of course.
Want to pay homage to the military this Memorial Day? Well why not dress up as a slutty sailor. Nothing says 'I respect the women and men in uniform' more, than a lot of cleavage or white fishnet stockings.
Lest we forget our most beloved icon of freedom in America, The Statue of Liberty. Why not give that French gal a much needed makeover with a micro mini dress made from fabric cut to the same size as our actual Constitution!
Ah yes. America. Red, White, Blue and slutty. Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on the pretty women in these photos. They all have beautiful bodies. What I don't like is that these costumes give the impression that nothing is sacred anymore. That SEX has to be inserted (pardon the pun) into all facets of our celebrations. I'm not a prude. I like to look and feel sexy. I just think there is a time and a place for it. Going out to a nightclub = Look sexy. Going to a memorial day picnic = Look pretty, the sexy can come later when you are participating in the memorial day car wash and you re-enact that scene from Cool Hand Luke.
it get's kinda hot and heavy at the 2:45 min mark.
You've never seen that movie? Dude! Watch it. It's awesome.
But back to my point. a) You don't need a costume for every freakin holiday. I saw costumes for St. Patrick's Day, Valentine's Day. I bet there is even a slutty Easter costume out there! There sure as heck are slutty Mrs. Claus costumes. b) You don't need to dress like a slut to look sexy. Sure. Show off the goods from time to time. You work hard to look that good, but sometimes cutoff shorts and a t-shirt look sexier to a guy than star spangled hot pants. c) I can't believe you haven't seen Cool Hand Luke?! The "What we have here is a failure to communicate." line is from that movie. "No One can eat 50 eggs." scene is awesome. Plus Paul Newman looks hot!
Sexy costumes do have their place. Halloween, Costume Parties, Comic Book conventions, The Bedroom, but please let's keep the day when we honor those that made the ultimate sacrifice for our country, a little less provocative. (and yes I see the irony of asking people to not use their "freedom of expression" AKA Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness, on a day where we honor people who fought to maintain that RIGHT. I'm just making a suggestion. It's not like I'm trying to pass some law that will limit someones ability to have the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. That would be Un-American.) <---- see what I did there?
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of The Day? - Chanel Joues Contraste in In Love. A bright orange-y coral. I'm wearing it trying to convince myself that I don't need to buy the limited edition JC from Asia in Fleur de Lotus because they look similar.
2. Latest beauty acquisition or upcoming beauty acquisition? - I recently received a bottle of the Dita Von Teese perfume from my UK friend Hayley at London Beauty Queen blog. I really like it and it smells sexy!
3. Name one of your favorite movies made before 1970? - There are a ton, obviously, but Cool Hand Luke I mentioned above so I don't wanna cheat and name another.
4. Speaking of sluts, what beauty brand(s) are you a total HOOR for? - I'm an equal opportunity HOOR, but I must say that Guerlain and Chanel are neck and neck.
5. What was one of your most favorite costumes (I have asked this question before, sorry) - My favorite costume is still the same. The time I went as Satan's Cheerleader for Halloween one year.