The other day I finally had a Crumbs Bakery cupcake. I have been hearing about Crumbs for a long time and was excited that they opened a bakery in Washington, DC. Mr. Sith and I picked up a sample of their mini cupcakes. They have a variety of fantastical flavors and toppings and filings. If you can imagine it, they have it. So it was disappointing to bite into this cupcake and "feel nothing". OK. Let me explain. The cupcake tasted VERY good. It was sweet and flavorful. The frosting was delicious and the cake itself was moist and yummy. But there was something missing. It wasn't a flavor or ingredient, per se. It was more of...It lacked soul. This cupcake was a cupcake in the very definition of the word, but there was no love behind the cupcake. Whoever made this cupcake, is not someone that loves the craft of cupcake creation. I know this sounds strange, but in cooking and baking, there is a little bit of the soul of the person that makes the food added into each dish they create. For example. There was a move released in 1992 called "Like Water for Chocolate" (Como agua para chocolate). This Mexican film is based on a novel. A story about a woman name Tita and a man named Pedro. They are in love, but forbidden to marry because of family tradition. Tita, being the youngest daughter, is forbidden to marry before the eldest daughter and has been confined to a life of taking care of their elderly mother. When Pedro is given the hand of Tita's older sister in marriage, the wedding cake Tita makes for them is infused with her tears. The sadness overcomes the entire wedding as the guests and the bride and groom eat the cake. More emotions of the current situation are infused into the dishes that Tita makes and as the story goes on you see how her current mood affects the people that eat the food she creates. You all need to see this movie, if you haven't already, and make sure you are near a Mexican restaurant after watching it because you will have a strong desire for Mexican cuisine after watching this movie, for sure! Tita put part of her soul into the dishes she created. Something lacking from the Crumbs cupcake I ate. Then it hit me. A cupcake that has soul! A cupcake that you can taste the love and pride and commitment in every bite. Danielle's Desserts. No. I am not being paid by them to write this, I am doing this because they have the most awesome baked goods ever! Danielle's Desserts is a small bakery located on the third floor of Tysons Galleria Mall outside of Saks Fifth Avenue. This small shop makes the most wonderful and honest cakes, pies, cupcakes, cookies and bars I have ever had in my life. Every item tastes home made. The small batches help, but Danielle and her staff truly make each item with love. I happen to adore their Caramel Cupcake. The rich buttercream frosting is astounding. It is almost sinful. The cake, the cake of the cupcake is the best I have ever eaten in my entire life. Unlike other cupcake boutiques like Crumbs and Cake Love (another local cupcake shop) Danielle's Desserts cupcakes are simple and straight forward. The cupcakes at Danielle's Desserts may not have the bells and whistles on each cupcake like other retailers, but you really don't need that in the first place. You just need excellent cake as the foundation and then the most delectable and perfect buttercream frosting to top it off. I don't know why I am so passionate about these cupcakes, I think it's the passion infused into each creation that comes out of this small bakery that keeps me thinking about them. So while the Crumbs cupcakes are quite tasty and well made, they seem like empty calories (literally and figuratively). Where as a Danielle's Desserts cupcake (Has empty calories too) but at least I feel and taste the affection for the craft baked into each item I purchase. OK, enough about my cupcake fetish!
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rose. I am coming back from being sacked with a migraine all day yesterday. I'm doing the minimal makeup thing today, because I think I might have to go home and rest because I feel like a truck has run me over.
2. Do you like cupcakes? Do you think food can have "soul"? Are you a foodie? - YES. YES. And I didn't think I was until I went off on this whole thing about cupcakes, so I guess I am a foodie. I'm certainly married to one. I don't think I'm a true foodie, but I like what I like.
3. What is an underrated makeup brand, in your opinion? - (I'm actually asking for a friend) I think The Balm Cosmetics are underrated. They have an excellent concealer and their shadows are pretty awesome. I also hear their blushes are good and lipsticks rock!
4. Like Water For Chocolate made me crave Mexican food after watching it. Have you ever seen a movie that made you crave a specific kind of food after watching it? - Aside from LWFC I also craved really good Chinese food after watching "Eat Drink Man Woman".
5. What is your favorite beauty item (Mask, Hair treatment, Moisturizer, Mattifier, etc) to create from items found in your kitchen? - I love making a honey cinnamon mask. It's great for acne and irritated skin. I also love doing a yogurt and honey mask.