Oh where do I start? Last night was the first Presidential debate. I'm not going to talk about who won or lost. I'm going to talk about a statement that set the Internet meme generators off in a frenzy. During the debate Mitt Romney said he would reduce the deficit by cutting the budget. One of the things he would cut out of the budget was funding for PBS (Public Broadcasting System). For those that are not from the US, PBS is the home of Sesame Street, Documentaries, Masterpiece Theater, SHERLOCK, News Shows and a host of other educational programming. All shows are commercial free and the station runs on grants from the Department of Education, Funding from the US government and Donations from viewers. PBS is the home of Big Bird from Sesame Street. The show started in 1969 and is still running today. It has taught countless children to read and count. It is a fantastic show. But when a politician makes a statement that they want to cut funding from PBS (Romney is not the first to make this statement and wont be the last) and when they mention Big Bird specifically, people get riled up. Within SECONDS of Romney making this claim to cut funding, the Internet exploded with memes about it. (An Internet meme may take the form of an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, hashtag. It may be just a word or phrase, including intentional misspelling the word "more" as "moar" or "the" as "teh". These small movements tend to spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, direct email, or news sources. They may relate to various existing Internet cultures or subcultures, often based on sites like 4chan, tumblr, and numerous others.) That's what I love about teh interwebz. Memes are abundant and entertaining. (I just used a meme in that last sentence!) Let's take a look at a few, shall we?
Then the twitterverse got bombarded with tweets about a proposed cut to PBS and Big Bird. Check out a collection on buzzfeed and The Huffington Post.
@FiredBigBird is a twitter account created last night during the debates. He now has over 24K followers in less than 12 hours! Oh and then there is @SilentJimLehrer a parody account for the lame duck moderator of the debate. The fact that the internet responded so quickly and so passionately about cutting funding to PBS is beautiful and telling. You just shouldn't. Republicans, Democrats, and Independents came together and said "whoa!" "Not Big Bird" (I'm guessing they came together, perhaps they didn't I like to think that Big Bird transcends political parties,) Big bird does not take political sides. Big Bird Does not vote. Big Bird is a Muppet. But the Internet has spoken for him, so it seems. My favorite tweet about the whole thing is from Neil deGrasse Tyson (Brilliant man!) who happens to host NOVA Science NOW on PBS.
I'm not taking sides in this post. I'm simply showing how amazing the Internet is and how creative people are.
On To The Poll!
1. Eye Of The Day? - I'm wearing NARS Taiga eyeshadow duo today. I really need to get more olive greens in my eyeshadow "wardrobe"
2. What was one of your favorite TV shows to watch when you were a kid? - I liked Sesame Street, but it was a little slow for me. I really liked The Electric Company (Not the new one) and The Great Space Coaster!
3. Imagine there is some calamity and all makeup production ceases. You only have what is left in your stash. What kind of makeup will you run out of first and what kind of makeup will you run out of last? - I'll run out of Concealer first and Eyeshadow last. I think I have enough eyeshadow to last me until I turn 275 years old.
4. What is ONE of your favorite TV shows to watch now that you are all grown up? - Oh so many. But I guess I really love watching .... GameOfThronesDexterWarehouse13SonsOfAnarchyProjectRunwayHomelandTheCloneWarsAnimatedSeriesBoardwalkEmpire. OK. I know that's cheating. Homeland is my favorite. (because Damian Lewis is freakin HOT and they KILLED my favorite character from another TV show I watch so that show is on my sh*t list right now)
5. Finish this sentence: I would be interested in a week long series on The Pink Sith Blog dedicated to _________ . - Nail Polish, red lipstick, LOL I shouldn't be answering this..