I know that some of you are foregoing sitting down to dinner with family and friends this Thanksgiving, in order to wait on line at your local super store to pick up a blu-ray player for 99 cents and a crystal vase for $5 during the midnight madness sales, but perhaps you might like to think about some beautiful items from small and independent businesses this holiday seasons. Sure there is a push for Small Business Saturday all around the country, but I think Small Businesses should be rewarded year round for not making their employees work on Thanksgiving just so shoppers can trample them when the doors open. I think Small Businesses should be rewarded for their attention to customer service and their passion for their business. I think Small Businesses ROCK and I think you all should consider getting a gift or two for your beauty obsessed family and friends this holiday season.
Above are my top 7 picks for small business beauty gifts.
1) Geek Chic Cosmetics. While I have never tried this brand, I have heard good things about it from Phyrra and other bloggers. I really love the fact that she has so many dual and trio chrome eyeshadows. I plan to check out her themed collections for Game of Thrones and Zombies. Plus at $5.99 for a 5g jar I really could buy entire collections and feel no guilt!
2) Hold Me Makeup Bag. - I reviewed this item back in January 2013 (HERE). So far I have used it 7 times for travel. And each time I am in awe of how much it can hold and still be compact. I also love that it keeps my brushes and makeup so organized. (This way I don't have to take over an entire hotel skin counter to do my makeup.) The faux suede wipes clean and is made with much care. This bag looks as new as the day I got it. Totally for the $85 investment. It's the last makeup bag I will ever need.
3. Sugarpill Cosmetics - I have long pined away for my own collection of Sugarpill Cosmetics ever since Joeybunny reviewed them (HERE) on the Pink Sith Blog. While I rarely have occasion to wear Electric Yellow eyeshadow, the Red and Purple shadows call to me with their siren song. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy this palette!
4. Cult Nails - While I have never reviewed any Cult Nails Products on my blog, I actually own several of their polishes. It's a shame I haven't talked about them until now, but I swear My Kind Of Cool Aid is a lavender polish with silver shimmer that wears like IRON. The polish I show in the list above is called Iconic and it is THE PERFECT Holiday red with gold shimmer. It's also perfect for non holidays too. This red is one everyone NEEDS. But you can get it as a gift for a lacquer obsessed friend instead.
5. Luxury Lane Soap - Speaking of geeks, did I mention that Luxury Lane Soap is the soap haven for all things geek, organic and soapy? I just reviewed Brain Wash soap (HERE), but I plan to pick up a Thunder Cats Soap and some glow in the dark soaps for Mr. Sith and Darthypie this year. You should check them out for a stocking stuffer or little office gifts.
6. Medicine Mama's Apothecary - Sweet Bee Magic and Sweet Bee Magic Wand are two of my favorite cold weather salves. They are easy to use, smell nice and all natural.. Royal honey is an awesome tool for almost anything that ails you. Plus I write such a cute story about the products (HERE) how could you not pick up one or two items for your loved ones?
7. Besame Cosmetics - Love her or hate her from Project Runway, Kenley Collins has a distinctive retro style. This was just the most perfect pairing for Besame and the Project Runway Alum. A stunning scarf in a cute print and a blue based red lipstick to pair with it. A perfect Holiday gift for those red lipstick fans on your list. Are you listening Mr. Sith? I said a PERFECT HOLIDAY GIFT!
Saturday, November 24th marks the third annual Small Business Saturday; a day to support local businesses around the country. Small Business Saturday was founded in 2010 by American Express in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: more customers. American Express provides support by generating awareness and action around shopping local for the entire day. So if you need a gift, a haircut, new shoes, a new concealer... Pick it up at a small biz! You can learn where to shop, and how to support local businesses in your area by visiting http://www.shopsmall.com and by watching this video
Have I inspired you? Will you be shopping with Small Businesses this year? What's on your beauty shopping or wish list?