A twitter friend of mine lamented the other day about how no one seems to spell her name correctly. She doesn't have a tricky name with creative spelling, or anything like that. Her name is Sara. But it seems more often than not, people spell her name as Sarah. That 'H' is a bone of contention for her. Mr. Sith has his name misspelled often as well Jonathan is is name spelled correctly, but he has seen Johnathon, Johnathan, Johnithan, Jonnethan, Jonathon, etc. But these people need to suck it up as far as I'm concerned. Why? Because my name, Elvira is not only misspelled a lot but it is constantly mispronounced! First the misspellings. I get Elvera, Alvera, Olvera, Elbira, Elbera, Albera, Alovera (Yes. Really), Elviera, Elverera, Elmira (Yes, Really) and a few others I can't even remember. Then there is the pronunciation of my name. Elvira it is supposed to sound like "L-Veer-Ah". That is how to correctly pronounce my name. The letter 'i' in my name is a soft 'i' and should sound like an 'e'. Must people pronounce my name as "L-Vie-Rah". This is wrong and irritating. I don't think it would have been irritating if I lived in any other time period before the 1970's. You see, the Oak Ridge Boys, a super crappy country music band, had a song called "Elvira" and they pronounced it the "L-Vie-Rah" way in the song. Not only was the song mispronouncing my name, it was a super shitty song to boot! Picture this:
9th grade, first day of high school. You walk into Algebra class with the worlds most awful haircut which is growing out. You sit down as far from the teacher and as close to the door as possible. The teacher, if you can call him that, is actually the Football Coach. A missing link of a man that looks like a lot of the Neanderthal DNA was still alive and well in his system is teaching the class because he has to justify his existence to the school board. The Neanderthal teacher starts the roll call. Since your last name is at the beginning of the alphabet you are called second on the list. He says "L-Vie-Rah" and before you can respond with "here" or "present" the ENTIRE class starts to sing the Oak Ridge Boys "Elvira" song. The Missing Link of a teacher laughs and moves on before you can correct him of the correct pronunciation. He continues to call you "L-Vie-Rah" the entire school year. He's a terrible teacher and you barely get a C in the class.
That is why I hate my name. It's too late to change it now. I'm an old woman, and I have been at my current job for too long to change my name now and not seem like a total weirdo or flake. So I will endure hearing "L-Vie-Rah" for the rest of my days. My good friends know how to say my name correctly. To new, outside of work, people I meet, I just have them call me "EB", as that is what some friends used to call me before I got married. Of course now when I reserve a table or get a drink order they announce EB as ebb (like ebb tide). So I really can't win.
On To The Poll!
1. Blush Of The Day? - Sea Anemone from the Chantecaille Save The Sharks Palette. It just arrived last night. I'm testing it out and should have a review up on Monday!
2. Is you first or last name ever misspelled or mispronounced? - YUP! But I envy those with simple easy to say and spell names. You are truly lucky!
3. What is your favorite Concealer? - I have a few. The Le Metier de Beaute concealer is awesome, as is the Make Up For Ever Full Cover concealer/foundation is pretty kick ass as well!
4. A lot of girls, when growing up picked names for their future children. I know I did. IF you did pick a name for a girl, what was it, and did you ever have a girl and name her that? - I did not have a girl, although it would have been nice to have one. The name I always liked was Veronica. Of course I wouldn't be doing Veronica any favors as there is an Elvis Costello Song called "Veronica", but at least it's a really good song.
5. Name one of the most gimmicky makeup products you can remember, like the vibrating mascara wand and so on. - The Paint Roller foundation from L'Oreal is a real bad one, but the L'Oreal One Sweep eyeshadows with three colors and you used this giant foam applicator to apply it. That has to be the worst.