Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. For about 2 decades Valentines day was the bane of my existence. I was usually not in a serious relationship when Valentine's Day came around and therefore felt like a lonely, awkward, unloved loser. That's how I felt after watching all the TV commercials with men buying flowers and diamonds for the woman they loved. That's how I felt when I walked in the local card store and was assaulted by aisle after aisle of red, pink and white cards and stuffed bears holding hearts and other fuckery. That's how I felt when passing the rows of red cellophane wrapped heart shaped boxes of crappy drugstore candy. I felt alone. I felt unloved. I started to HATE Valentine's Day. "It's a made up holiday!" I would mutter. "It's a Hallmark holiday!" I would retort when one of my friends would bring it up. Inevitably I would spend Valentine's Day alone in my apartment eating pizza and finishing off a box of Russell Stover candy that I purchased for myself. All while holding back tears and watching 16 Candles or some other John Hughes movie. I was pathetic. But I began to realize that no one was making me feel this way, but myself. I CHOSE to listen to those stupid TV ads that sang "Every kiss begins with Kay." I chose to wander the aisles of cards and candy and stuffed animals. I chose to feel sorry for myself. No one forced me to do it. I chose to feel bad about myself on Valentine's Day. How crappy is that? In reality I would NEVER want commercial jewelery, especially some "open heart" design from some C-List actress. I really don't need a card to feel loved. I'm not even a fan of stuffed animals. So what was I really missing out on? Now that I am in a relationship and married almost 13 years I still kind of dread Valentine's Day. Not because I am worried about being alone or feeling like a loser. No. I dread it because I know there are women and men out there that still feel the way I used to. I hate the thought of someone feeling like a loser because they don't have someone else in their life willing to spend $2.50 on a card and $7.35 on a box of shitty candy. You know what? DON'T feel bad. Don't feel sorry. Buy yourself that stuffed bear holding a red satin heart. Buy yourself some NICE chocolates. Order flowers for yourself and have them delivered to work if you want. It's OK to love yourself. It's OK to take yourself on a date for Valentine's Day. Treat yourself. Buy that slow jazz CD and fill the tub with bubble bath and rose petals. Romance yourself. There is nothing wrong with enjoying your own company. I wish I had learned that lesson long ago. It would have saved me countless tears and many a lonely night feeling miserable when I could have been relaxing to Kenny G and a facial. So Happy Valentine's Day to all of my readers. I have a special stuffed bear picked out just for you!
On To The Poll!
1. Lip Of The Day? - Since this week has been ALL ABOUT lips why not go with the flow? Today I am wearing Armour Lip Gloss in Cat Club with a little bit of Purple Rain in the center of the lip....because I can.
2. Do you share the same disdain I do/did for Valentine's Day, or did you learn it's not the end of the world if someone doesn't buy you a dozen malnourished red roses? - See above for my thoughts.
3. Latest Beauty Purchase? - Aside from the Paul & Joe blushes and lipsticks, I picked up a new eye cream from Algenist. So far so good!
4. What is your favorite holiday (Real or Hallmark)? - Halloween followed by Thanksgiving. Costumes and Food! Love them both!
5. How many lip products are in your purse right now!? - Oh this is embarrassing. I have 17 different lip glosses, lipsticks and lip pencils in my purse. I need to clean it out...obviously!